Current Job Openings
Charles County Public Schools
Job Description: Chief of Schools
Terms of Employment: 12-Month
Exemption Status: Exempt
Executive Scale Grade 02 Level 1-5
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Chief of Schools provides director leadership, supervision and support to all elementary, secondary schools and centers. This position further oversees school leader development, school safety, athletics, and community engagement. As a member of the Superintendent’s Senior Leadership Team, the Chief of Schools works collaboratively with executive staff on strategic planning and school system improvement as it relates to the academic achievement and wellbeing of students and supports the continued operational excellence of the school system particularly in direct areas of responsibility.
• Strong background and experience in educational leadership and supervision of schools.
• Ability to apply critical thinking skills to solve problems.
• Ability to collect, analyze data and render options to improve the programs and operations of the school system.
• Ability to work in teams and maintain sensitive and confidential information and communications.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• Master’s degree in Educational Leadership or related area required; Doctorate preferred.
• Advanced Professional Certificate with Admin II endorsement required.
• 5 years of supervisory and/or administration experience required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Provides direct supervision, support and feedback to executive directors and school leaders in the instruction and management of schools that results in gains in student achievement and school engagement.
• Conducts frequent visits to schools to dialogue with staff and monitor instruction and school operations to develop and implement strategic goals to improve the academic outcomes of schools.
• Collaborates with the Chief of Teaching and Learning and other central offices to ensure alignment in instructional programming, professional development and overall use and impact of resources to continuously improve the school system.
• Develops and executes a plan for leadership development, including leadership pipeline development.
• Is a member of the Senior Leadership Team in charge of school and central office leader selection processes.
• Oversees school safety and hearing officer(s) with the goal of implementing fair discipline and consequences for students and working with other departments and schools to re-engage any student back to focusing on learning and achieving.
• Foster meaningful relationships with family and community stakeholders and develops metrics to show continual improvement and impact in this area as it relates to supporting student engagement, wellbeing, and achievement.
• Works with PTSO, PTOs and other parent organizations to ensure their prosperity in every school.
• Oversees athletics and student activities to ensure equitable access and operational excellence.
• As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Chief of Schools will take part on several strategic bodies of work for the school system that may include strategic planning, labor negotiations, budget development, staffing, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The environmental factors and/or physical requirements of this position include the following: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard. The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
Charles County Public Schools reserves the right to re-advertise and modify the content of vacancy announcements at any time; however, this may be the only notice for this position during the noted advertisement period.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices.
For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.